How to pay a Sales Tax invoice?

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 06:57:45 EST 2017

Hi

I'm like you in Australia. I work via a service company, who sends me
regular Recipient-Created Tax Invoices... and I pay them a percentage of
the income that I generate, plus GST. Let's say I generate an income of
$1000, plus $100 GST... and I pay them 30%+GST ie $300+$30GST. I receive
1100-330 = $770 into bank.

My payslips are recorded as follows:
- Income:Sales $1000
- Liability:GST:Collected $100
- Expenses:ServiceFee -$300
- Liabiliy:GST:Paid -$30
- Assets:Bank $770

While completing my BAS, I'll be owing the ATO 100-70 = $30. I personally
record this as a separate account:
- Assets:Bank -$70
- Liability:GST:BAS $70

Hence I use a 3-account structure as suggested by
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Alternate_Australian_GST_setup --
Liability:GST:Paid
Liability:GST:Collected
Liability:GST:BAS

(PS to complicate matters further, during quarterly BAS they'll also take
PAYG Income Tax. Hence, assuming I pay $40000 tax per year:
- Assets:Bank -$10070
- Liability:GST:BAS $70
- Expenses:ATO:Income Tax $10000)

The Liability:GST parent account will show, live, the amount owed to ATO.
Does this help?