How to pay a Sales Tax invoice?

Nelson Handcock nelson.handcock at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 15:16:58 EST 2017

Hi,

Thnks for all the suggestions - I can see it makes sense to just enter the
BAS payment as a transaction rather than raise a supplier bill.

I've tried to set it up, but I'm still a bit confused....

Based on the Alternate Australian GST Setup info,

I have the following accounts for GST:
Liabilities
Liabilities:GST
Liabilities:GST:GST on Stock Purchased
Liabilities:GST:GST on Sales
Liabilities:GST BAS Payments

I have posted my invoices raised to my customers and the bills from my
suppliers.

There is more GST on stock purchased than GST charged to my customers, so I
owe the ATO. The account balances show:

Liabilities:GST -494.30 (parent account - balance calculated)
Liabilities:GST:GST on Stock Purchased -1277.13
Liabilities:GST:GST on Sales 782.83
Liabilities:GST BAS Payments

I was expecting that when I enter the BAS Payment transaction in the Bank
account, the net liability has been addressed and the balance of the parent
GST account should show 0.00

However, I get this:

Liabilities:GST -988.60
Liabilities:GST:GST on Stock Purchased -1277.13
Liabilities:GST:GST on Sales 782.83
Liabilities:GST BAS Payments -494.30

I can see that earlier replies talk about adding splits into the
transaction - and I think this is where I'm getting confused. If I click
the split button and try to reverse the net value of the GST on Stock
Purchased then it seems to create a separate transaction and it turns into
a big mess.

I hope someone can clarify what I'm supposed to do, or whether it's simply
a case of me mis-interpreting the accounts, or whether I've set something
up wrong.

Thanks & Regards,

Nelson Handcock