Owner's Draw setup under Equity group

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 18:00:54 EDT 2017

Brian, as for properties to the signs of accounts you want to look under Preferences > Accounts > Reverse Balance Accounts (exact menu location will vary by operating system)

You can experiment with the three settings that update live as you change them in the Account Tree tab to your liking.

I have mine set for ‘Credit Accounts’ which will normally result in positive balances for everything save for contra credit(and contra asset) accounts, of which Equity is one because it normally has a credit balance. With this setting, an Owner’s Draw account, having a debit balance will show as a negative. Mind you, this doesn’t mean a negative debit. It means negative equity value.

You can switch this setting to either Income & Expense, or None as desired to give a positive balance to the Owner’s Draw account, but you might not like the resulting reversals for the other affected accounts. While it would be nice to work with positive numbers in all cases, contra accounts are always going to present a problem. I rarely use them, so the ‘Credit Accounts’ setting for Reversed Balance works for me. Such contra balances SHOULD show up with a reversed sign because that tells you at a glance either all is right (or not) with the balance of that account if it is the sign expected.

What makes the Owner’s Draw account a ‘contra’ account is not a special setting, but rather that it will normally have a balance which is contrary to the normal balance of that account type. Equity accounts are normally Credit balances. You would not want to see positive signs for balances for both Owner’s Capital and Owner’s Draw in normal circumstances.

-Adrien