Importing QIF files with multiple accounts w/o going through a transfer account

rianmonnahan . rian.monnahan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 08:31:43 EDT 2017

David,

In a word, "yes." The only way to associate the transaction that transit
through the interface is via the transaction number, T# in the contrived
scenario. You can look at the interface account and see the mirror image of
the accounting entries you would make in the G/L. Then you see both sides
of the transaction together but reversed.

If you need to see an account-account association in the base/transfer
accounts as if you entered everything by hand, you will have to load those
transaction in one of the accounts like you do with a bank reconciliation
statement.

Now, not all of the transaction in my G/L upload file are NOT simple
account to account transactions. Here's an example:

Account                              Date
Transaction                                   DR                  CR
401ADRE 1/31/2017 PAYE 17-01 0 33.34
421 1/31/2017 PAYE 17-01 0 2561.78
421 1/31/2017 PAYE 17-01 0 2288.03
421 1/31/2017 PAYE 17-01 0 2225.37
421 1/31/2017 PAYE 17-01 0 2587.95
431 1/31/2017 PAYE 17-01 0 4723.58
43732 1/31/2017 PAYE 17-01 0 1121.78
4374 1/31/2017 PAYE 17-01 0 70.22
4375 1/31/2017 PAYE 17-01 0 157.06
6333 1/31/2017 PAYE 17-01 157.06 0
6411 1/31/2017 PAYE 17-01 12109.34 0
6451 1/31/2017 PAYE 17-01 2777.87 0
64521 1/31/2017 PAYE 17-01 16.67 0
64532 1/31/2017 PAYE 17-01 673.06 0
64534 1/31/2017 PAYE 17-01 35.11 0

Try loading that against one account! The example above did not originate
from Gnu. It originated from a French accounting system where entering what
is called an OD (Operation diverse) is not constrained. You open the OD
journal and make an accounting entry just like you would on paper. Gnu
forces you to open one account and make an entry against 1-n transfer
accounts.

Unless the GnuCash developers modify the import function, the only way
upload 1000s of transactions is either through the method I describe or by
demonstrates, it's not always possible to identify the base/transfer
account relationship. Moreover, it's likely a very tedious exercise to do
so in a file with 1000s of lines.

Now, if anyone has a better solution, I'm a taker.

Rian Monnahan