Is GnuCash Secure?

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Wed May 3 06:42:55 EDT 2017

Hi T.

Just a quick point that may not be obvious to you given a section of your
original mail that I have trimmed below...

 - Gnucash is not an online (Cloud-based) accounting package (unlike Wave that
you have mentioned).

The program runs on your own computer, and the data file lives wherever you
store it - either local hard disks or in some sort of "dropbox" style cloud
storage.  (or both for back-up reasons)

This means that your data is not under the control of any developer - or
stored in their cloud - unlike the way Wave (or Xero or the others) works.  In
other words, the GC programmers have no physical access to your data file to
"allow access" as you put it, unlike the cloud-based systems.

(I am not saying that Wave can or has looked at anyone's data inappropriately,
nor that it would be impossible for a malicious GC dev to modify the source to
send data somewhere bad - but I'd like to think that such changes would be
picked up on pretty damn quickly by the rest of the team!)

0.02
Maf.

On Monday, 1 May 2017 16:31:35 BST tnicolle wrote:

<SNIP>
> These are most of the big features I find lacking in any other one online
> program.
>

> If this is the case, I wonder then what stops a developer from going into
> the source code and changing it with malicious intent to grant access or
> create virus problems etc.

<SNAP>