How to close a financial year & how to keep 'earmarked' funds

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Thu May 25 13:22:52 EDT 2017

On 5/25/2017 11:49 AM, Maf. King wrote:
> Copying to list...
>
> On Thursday, 25 May 2017 16:33:39 BST you wrote:
>> Maf thanks so much!!!  Helpful certainly.  But I don’t understand IIRC, YMMV
>> and HTH.

Side by side reports, etc.

I can't really advise you on that as I do not try to do that sort of
thing from within gnucash. I could have written the special reports
(this was long before gnucash offered that special stuff) as I was an
experienced analyst, and while never paid to program in LISP, could get
by in it so could have handled the SCHEME (essentially, a lisp dialect).
But a very experienced accountant told me "don't bother, Mike. Just
produce the separate raw reports, export them, then use your favorite
editor to put it all together, adding annotations, fixed text*, pretty
printing, etc. under control, of that full power editor. That's what any
of us would do."

In other words, the raw reports and what I present to the board of
directors not the same. To fill out forms for the government, etc. might
require different levels of detail/grouping than the boards would want
to see.

Michael

* Being "public charities", the books are "open". Not that anybody from
the public has ever asked to see them. But the reports have to be such
that they WOULD make sense if seen. Thus while the BoD's of each
organization know the accounting principles/choices used and wouldn't
need to see them each time, they are included as fixed text. Statements
like "fixed assets are durables costing more than $500 and will be
depreciated over four years" << so somebody reading the financial report
would know that durables costing under $500 would have been immediately
expensed >>  And any unusual amounts are annotated. Certain lines in the
report could be larger font, bold, etc. So even if getting the report
side by side out of gnucash, would STILL be using an editor before
getting to the finished product.