[GNC] "Save Report Configuration" Crashes GnuCash and Truncates saved-reports-2.8

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sat Dec 29 11:01:15 EST 2018

Hi David,

A very disturbing situation to be in.

I think the first step is to narrow down the possible issues.

Op zaterdag 29 december 2018 16:18:43 CET schreef David T. via gnucash-user:
> Hello,
>
> As the subject line notes, I am again encountering a crasher in GnuCash 3.3
> on MacOS Mojave when I try to save a report configuration for a report
> whose settings have changed. Upon restart, I find that the saved reports
> have been trashed, and the saved-reports-2.8 file is truncated at a
> fraction of its prior size.
>
> Further specifics: I am opening a saved report which is intended to document
> a small subset of expense accounts. I have added a new subaccount to this
> set of expenses, and I wish to add this new subaccount to the existing
> saved report. I open the report (Reports->Saved Report Configurations) and
> then select the options for the report. I click to the Accounts tab, add
> the new account (CMD-Click) and click save. The new version of the report
> now displays. I click on the “Save Report Configuration” button, and
> GnuCash disappears. There is no further information displayed (i.e., I do
> not receive an Apple message about the program ending unexpectedly, etc.).
> Neither does it appear that there is a crash report; the only crash I can
> find regarding GnuCash dates from 12/18, and today is not 12/18.

When this happens is there anything in the trace file ?

> More disturbingly, when I reopen GnuCash, I find that my Saved Report
> Configurations file has been truncated, resulting in a loss of most of my
> reports. (Because I’ve had similar troubles with GnuCash trashing my
> reports file, I have copies of saved-reports-2.8 stored in safe spots.) The
> saved-reports-2.8 file goes from 182 kb to 34 kb. Upon restart, I have only
> 7 saved reports.

So some of them are still in there ? Is the last one that's still there
completely stored in the saved reports file ? And what's the first report
that's not saved ? Do you see anything particular about this one ?

What if you remove this first report that's not saved from your original saved
reports file (after making a proper backup of course) and restore this
manually edited file. Can you now save your new report correctly ?

Regards,

Geert