[GNC] Accidentally Created .LNK file and now my entire GnuCash file is overwritten and I can't get back to work

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sun Nov 4 16:58:23 EST 2018

My bad there Geert.

Maybe the wiki needs a bit of modification to make it clearer to  that it is
the meta data and not the actual data files as I did read it as the default
location for the user's gnucash accounting data files and perhaps a note
distinguishing these from the accounting data files. I don't know if it is
possible to perhaps explain to users where an accounting data file will be
created if you run through the new file routine and then hit save in the
case of a new installation. This is something a novice user could easily do
before reading the documentation. I have experimented a bit with my current
installation on Linux Mint  and it will save a new file in the same folder
as any previously opened file was located, i.e. the file you had to close to
open a new file. I haven't yet experimented with a clean GNuCash
installation to see where that would end up, but I expect it would be in the
user's home directory.

I think have noticed on my system that under some circumstances in some
applications the file save routine can open in the last location opened or
saved to by other programs on an initial opening, but I can't be too sure of
that as I don't take much notice normally and simply change to my preferred
location.

In any case this did not appear to be Anita's problem as she was in the
correct folder.

David

-----
David Cousens