[GNC] Moving to Gnucash 3

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sun Nov 25 12:52:14 EST 2018

In retrospect it may be interesting to add a bit more detail to my train of
thought. I skipped it in my original mail as David is a long-time user so I
took some parts for granted.

Installing a different version of gnucash can introduce issues on several
levels:

Firstly, format changes in how we store your financial data itself can result
in issues, which is stored wherever you chose the first time you created your
book. We support incompatible changes between two major releases only. So
gnucash 3.x will be able to load books saved with 2.6.x. And the other way
around the last 2.6 release (2.6.21) will be able to load books saved with
gnucash 3.x. If you skip major releases (say you last used 2.4 and now want to
use 3.x), you are advised to first open the book and resave it in the last
intermediary recent release (in the example that would be 2.6.21).

In this area we still have an issue to solve with the import matcher bayesian
data. In human terms, the importers keep some history on your previous imports
to improve their suggestions during future imports. The format in which we
store this data has changed and running the importer for the first time
sometimes seems to choke on the conversion from the old to the new format.

If you're heavily dependent on this, you may have good reason to hold off for
a while, though as said, the only way to know for sure is to try (on a copy of
your book). Working on a copy will also allow you to revert back to another
version if there are issues.

Next gnucash also stores user's settings. We sometimes introduce new settings
or otherwise modify settings between major releases. I am not aware of any
issues in this area during the migration from 2.6.x to 3.x. Which is a good
thing, because it's much harder to back up and restore these settings.

Thirdly, gnucash also stores meta data in a platform dependent, user specific
directory. The location if this directory changed between 2.6 and 3.x and your
meta data will be migrated automatically the first time you run gnucash 3.x.
After that the 2.6 version of your metadata will not be touched again. So if
this goes wrong, you can safely revert to 2.6 and see all the state again as
it was before you tried gnucash 3.x. That means which reports you had saved,
which reports and tabs were open. Whatever you experiment with in 3.x it will
not be carried back to 2.6. The only extra bit of advice I'd give here is: if
you decide to revert back to 2.6.x, do remove the 3.x metadata directories.
Otherwise the migration will not be rerun in the future when you really are
ready to switch to 3.x. The relevant metadata directories are GNC_CONFIG_HOME
and GNC_DATA_HOME as described on this wiki page:
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations

Lastly there can be issues in the interaction with gnucash, like it crashes or
autocomplete is no longer working, issues with scrollbars, slow saves... While
these can be annoying or problematic enough to make you switch back to 2.6,
they generally don't affect any of your data directly.

So based on these four areas, and the issues you may encounter in each you can
evaluate whether or not it's worth for you to make the switch. I'm not pushing
anyone, yet on the other hand I love to hear the experiences as that helps us
identify which areas to focus on first.

Regards,

Geert