[GNC] two lines for every entry

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Apr 11 03:43:44 EDT 2019

Sorry to break it to you. You have to care, to enter the transaction.

EACH AND EVERY transaction has two entries or splits.

A payment will have one split to the card account and the other to whatever asset you used to make that payment.

Accounting isn’t adding things up. (well, not simply anyway)

It is tracking *where* money is coming from and *where* it is going to.

You have to track both parts, not just one side.

If you made a cash payment one month, enter that as:

Dr. Liabilities:Credit Card:VISA-1234
Cr. Assets:Current Assets:Cash

If you later made a payment by check:

Dr. Liabilities:Credit Card:VISA-1234
Cr. Assets:Current Assets:Checking

Not all payments have to be from the same place, but you do have to say where they came from. That’s how it works.

Regards,
Adrien