[GNC] * Unsaved book - Gnucash

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Thu May 2 18:15:12 EDT 2019

> On 2 May 2019, at 23:07, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
>
> Michael,
>
> On Thu, May 2, 2019 5:44 pm, Michael Hendry wrote:
>>
>> PS Panic over!
>>
>> I removed all files created after the last known good .gnucash backup file
>> - MDH.gnucash.20190502173103.gnucash - to a safe place.
>>
>> I then started Gnucash 3.4 in the normal way, and opened this backup file
>> when prompted for a filename.
>>
>> I made a couple of entries, saved as MDH.gnucash and Quit Gnucash.
>>
>> This time I was able to open the resulting file with Gnucash 3.5, make an
>> entry, save and exit in the normal way.
>>
>> I’ll keep a careful eye on developments over the next few days.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Michael Hendry
>
> Please keep in mind that on the Mac, double-clicking on a GnuCash file has
> no effect.  It will start GnuCash, but GnuCash will ALWAYS open the
> last-used file and NOT (necessarily) the one you double-clicked.  This is
> a Mac-specific limitation.

Thanks for the reminder, Derek.

I was already well aware of this from experience with other non-native applications (e.g. Libreoffice, which also tends to crash when asked to open an email attachment if it is not already running).

This was why I had to shift the (presumably corrupt) MDH.gnucash file out of the way before running 3.4 and opening the most recent good backup.

It’s always good to know there are experienced eyes monitoring what’s going on on the list.

Regards,

Michael