[GNC] GnuCash Question: Posting query regarding Accounts receivable and Bad Debts

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Jun 24 17:03:41 EDT 2020

Create an *Asset* account labeled something like, ‘Allowance for Doubtful Accounts’.

You can place it as a child of the official Accounts Receivable account if you like, or create a new parent labeled ‘Other Accounts Receivable’ and place it as a child of that account.

Just be certain to make any of those normal *type* ‘Asset’ accounts. You can only have ONE *type* ‘Accounts Receivable’ no matter what you call it.

Then ‘pay’ the invoices with ‘Allowance for Doubtful Accounts’.

The original invoice contained something like:

Dr. Accounts Receivable
  Cr. Income

Now, this ‘payment’ will result in:

Dr. Allowance for Doubtful Accounts
  Cr. Accounts Receivable

So your AR for that customer will be correct. (and AR as a whole)

Now, edit your charge off transaction(s) to be between the ‘Allowance for Doubtful Accounts’ and ‘Expenses:Bad Debts’ like so:

Dr. Expenses:Bad Debts
  Cr. Allowance for Doubtful Accounts

*note, this is not specific to GnuCash, but just generic Accounting 101. Some businesses also estimate uncollectables and pre-transfer some amount to the Allowance account. Speak to a local CPA if you think this might be necessary or required in your jurisdiction.

Regards,
Adrien