[GNC] OFX connections

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 04:24:11 EST 2021

Richard,

None of the developers of GnuCash are paid to work on the program.  They
volunteer their time freely .

There are very few of them attempting to support a very complex program,
and they do this on the side after their day job or retired life.

GnuCash is free to the user, and we cannot demand any particular feature or
even that they fix bugs.  We should be grateful to the developers for their
contributions.  They have made GnuCash the fine program that it is.

They are always looking for additional volunteers.  If you have a skill
that you can contribute, they would love your help.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 11:14 PM John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure David was being facetious. There's approximately zero
> chance that any bank is going to undertake developing a new transfer
> protocol. The trend is that Quicken's propietary Web Connect authentication
> is what's supported. We've kept USAA going only because USAA decided to
> stick with DirectConnect and Quicken made it easy to reverse-engineer the
> new authentication arrangement.
>
> Now if somebody can reverse engineer Web Connect I'm sure Martin would be
> willing to implement it if it's feasible. He has the advantage of being
> largely beyond the reach of the DMCA.
>
> Ideally Congress would mandate something like Germany's FinTS for the US.
> That campaign would need some very wealthy donors to bankroll it, the
> lobbying against such a mandate from the banking industry and from Intuit
> will be intense and they have a lot of money and lobbyists.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls
>
> > On Feb 18, 2021, at 3:09 PM, David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com>
> wrote: