[GNC] Printer not showing up in print dialogue box

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Jan 14 15:50:37 EST 2021

Op dinsdag 12 januari 2021 19:56:18 CET schreef Adrien Monteleone:
> Are you using the Flatpak by chance?
>
> There is a work around I believe to expose a printer to a Flatpak app.
> (a limitation of Flatpak, not specific to GnuCash as far as I am aware)

Close.

You are correct that flatpak gnucash won't see your system printers when you try to print a
report (you can however print checks). This is not a flatpak limitation per se, but an
incompatibility between webkitgtk and flatpak. Our report system is built on webkitgtk so
for now we have no way around this.

> There were some issues with direct printing on MacOS (and I think
> Windows) due to a problem with the Webkit version used by GnuCash, and
> the temporary solution was to default to printing to file. But I didn't
> think Linux suffered this issue. (or I could have my OSs mixed up)

I don't remember that, but I'm currently not following this closely either.

> Also, I think I recently saw a change that put MacOS (if not all
> systems) back on Webkit2 which should have resolved this issue.

WebKit2 is the step forward from Webkit1. Windows is still on webkit1.

If I remember correctly with webkit1 we had the option to directly create a pdf from a report.
That feature is no longer available with webkit2 and hence dropped on MacOS and Linux.
Webkit1 on the other hand doesn't handle page breaks properly, so text may be split in the
middle on page ends. Windows users will still experience this issue.
And lastly, Webkit1 is no longer available on linux, so we were forced to upgrade to webkit2.

Regards,

Geert