[GNC] asset discrepancy in change of year

Andrea Borgia andrea at borgia.bo.it
Sat Mar 27 12:39:36 EDT 2021

Hi.

As previously mentioned, each year I close the current gnucash book and
open a new one.

For 2020: "Initial capital of 2020" = "Asset of 2019"  - "Expenses of
2019"  + "Income of 2019" (there are no liabilities)

For 2021 things are not right, apparently:

* "assets of 2020"  - "Expenses of 2020" + "Income of 2020" ends in
...418,08

* the sum of all assets (cash, bank account, paypal, prepaid card, you
name it...) ends in ...440,28

I can't find the error: all income / expense accounts in 2020 have been
closed to a "results" account so it's pretty easy to see they're all
zero and the "results" account goes to "capital".

Each individual asset has been cross-checked and marked "OK" in the new
book's "Capital" account where I recorded the opening balances. Since
those are verifiable values not depending on income / expenses, I'm
inclined to believe this is the true value for capital at end of 2020.

How do I go about fixing this? If my reasoning is correct, the fault
must lay somewhere in the 2020 book, right?

By the way, even before the recent thread with David on multiple
currencies I had exactly the same mismatch and "repair" finds no issues
in either book,

Thanks,

Andrea.