[GNC] Investments: Bank, Asset or Equity?

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 20:53:47 EDT 2021

This is the recommended (i.e. to ensure reports and UI behave well)
structure:

Assets (Top-level Parent) = Asset *[placeholder]*
---Current Assets (sub-account) = Asset [*placeholder]*
------Banks etc = *Bank*
---Investments (sub-account) = Asset *[placeholder]*
------Brokerage Account (sub-account) = Asset
---------Mutual Fund =
*Stock* ---------Stock(sub-account) = *Stock*

> Why is the Brokerage Account also not an Asset instead of a Bank?

*The main differences between Asset and Bank relate to UI and report
headers AFAIK. Ditto Liability & Credit Card (Credit Cards can also trigger
a Credit Card interest input dialog during reconciliation).*

> When I create a new file using a different Category (Sv language) I get
the
following structure and types:

* Equity* (Top-level Parent) = Equity
---*Opening Balances* (sub-account) = Equity