[GNC] Newest version for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Jeff beastmaster126 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 4 00:06:42 EDT 2021

On 10/2/21 12:48 PM, david whiting wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> On Wed, 29 Sept 2021 at 07:11, Jeff <beastmaster126 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> I would settle for a copy of "Building the Newest Version of GNC for
>> Dummies Course" book.
> Others have shown you that you can use flatpak to get the latest
> version, but if you do want to build from source I have found that the
> following works on Ubuntu 20.04. I have also attached it as a script.
> This clones the source from git and by default builds the maintenance
> version. The versions are tagged, so you can use git to checkout a
> different version and build that if you want, e.g. you could build 4.8
> rather than maint.
>
> ==== build-gnucash.sh  ====
>
> ## Change this if you want to build it somewhere else.
> SOURCEDIR="$HOME/Documents/gnucash/source"
> BUILDDIR="$HOME/Documents/gnucash/build"
>
> sudo apt update
> sudo apt upgrade
>
> sudo apt-get install build-essential
> ## This is one long line
> sudo apt install git make cmake libglib2.0-dev libxml2-dev
> libxslt1-dev libwebkit2gtk-4.0-dev gettext swig guile-3.0-dev
> libofx-dev xsltproc libboost-all-dev libdbi1 libdbi-dev libdbd-sqlite3
> libsecret-1-0 libsecret-1-dev aqbanking-tools libaqbanking-dev
> gwenhywfar-tools libgwengui-gtk3-dev
>
> # Only use the next 2 lines if you have not installed [[Google_Test |
> Google Test]] already.
> sudo apt install libgtest-dev                # >=1.7.0
> sudo apt install google-mock                 # 1.8.0 installs
> googlemock in a subdirectory of gtest
>
> mkdir -p $SOURCEDIR
> mkdir -p $BUILDDIR
>
> ## Clone gnucash source from git, if it is not already there
> [ ! -d $SOURCEDIR/gnucash ] && git clone
> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash.git $SOURCEDIR
>
> cd $BUILDDIR
> cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/opt/gnucash $SOURCEDIR
>
> make
>
> ==== end of script ====
>
> David

As time permits I will give it a try.  All of my previous attempts have
failed.

My next problem seems that after following, shoot can not remember who
demonstrated it for me, the Flatpak install of 4.8 keeps copying my
books from an external drive to my user desktop. Complete with all timed
backups.  Clearly I have an environment variable set wrong someplace.
Oh well, that's what keeps development interesting, figuring out where
you hid that little gremlin in the system.

--
--JEffrey Black M.B.A.