[GNC] XML vs MySQL Data Storage

Thomas Forrester tlforrester at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 12:21:50 EDT 2021

I've been using GnuCash for several years now, and almost right from the
start I made the decision to use MySQL as the database engine.  Other that
forgetting to start MySQL first now and then, it's working fine, and the
ability to easily schedule automated backups is nice.

I am assuming that the program gains some optimization by using a
professional RDBMS as its data engine.  But is it?  I know that XML is the
native data storage type for GnuCash, but that's really just a text file
format without any back end optimization.

My question is:  With an ever-increasing data load, am I correct in
assuming that performance is going to take in increasingly large hit over
MySQL?  Would there be any reason at all to move back to XML over MySQL?

Thanks!
--
Tom
Thomas L. Forrester