[GNC] tutorials or examples for connecting/programming for GnuCash data access

john jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Jul 25 14:07:21 EDT 2022

> On Jul 25, 2022, at 9:30 AM, Eric Hammond <eric at jehammond.net> wrote:
>
> Are there tutorial examples / videos for using Python and/or Sqlite3 to work with GnuCash.
> I have never used Sqlite, and my Python experience is mostly industrial, and outdated.
> (Like, what are bindings?)

Google found no GnuCash programming tutorials, though it did find some Piecash ones.

There's https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/SQL-Requests_For_Direct_Database_Access for SQL. It's not specifically about SQLite3 but you can read their docs for using the command-line tool.
Bindings are wrapper functions, in our case created by SWIG, that translate between e.g. Python and the C/C++ in which the GnuCash engine is written.
There's some information in https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Python_Bindings and a brief mention in https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v4/C/gnucash-guide/ch_python_bindings.html. There are some examples in https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/tree/maint/bindings/python/example_scripts.

Regards,
John Ralls