[GNC] Foreign Currency Receivable

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Wed May 25 10:23:28 EDT 2022

On 5/25/2022 12:01 AM, Gao Bite wrote:
> GnuCash Developers and Maintainers:
>
>    Hello! I am a Chinese developer who sells games on the Steam
> platform. When I sell my game work on steam, I receive the sales
> report every month containing data for last month's game selling. And
> I will receive last month's money in USD at the end of this month. My
> base currency is CNY.
>
>   How can I perform my accounting to record the gain and losses from
> game selling and foreign exchange separately?

What data is on this statement beyond gross amount in USD? Is the site
doing all transactions in USD (games sold for some price in USD as
opposed to the currency of the buyer). If you are selling different
games at various prices, unless you are told how many of each........
However it might be simpler for somebody like yourself who is the
fabricator of an intangible << most sellers would be selling tangible
goods with an associated  "cost of goods" but possibly/probably you do
not* >>

ARE you selling goods at some price in USD, does  your statement make
clear how many units sold (at what price) , does it show the fees the
agent is deducting, etc? Possibly there is no currency exchange involved
YET. Maybe the only gains/losses form currency exchange would between
the time you receive this statement and payment in USD and you get that
converted into CNY in your bank account.

In other words, if you receive a statement from the agent "sales in
March were $XXX (as of 3/31) but you do not receive into your bank
account YYY in CNY  until April 25th you might want to consider the
value of ($xxx - fees) in CNY as of march 31 the base and any difference
between that and the CNY going into your bank on April  25th a gain or
loss from currency exchange.

Michael D Novack

* But if you had programmers working for you, you possibly/probably
would be associating a "cost of goods" separating your business
operation between "production" and "marketing" because you might want to
see how each is doing separately.