[GNC] How to transfer all my accounts etc. to new computer.

Stan Brown (using GC 4.14) stan+gc at fastmail.fm
Sat Aug 12 17:44:41 EDT 2023

On 2023-08-12 10:50, Michael or Penny Novack wrote:
> Suppose  you asked us "I used a word processor to create a document. How
> do I move THIS document to another computer?"
>
> You would expect us to say something like "Well what did you name that
> document and into what directory (file folder) did you place it?". And
> if to that question you answered "I don't know." what would you expect
> us to tell you? You perhaps have hundreds of documents ending with the
> file extension usual for that word processor.
>
> Luckily you are unlikely to have many files created by gnucash as the
> "data file" (the books themselves). Should have the file extension .gnucash

Don't forget, the great majority of files ending .gnucash will most
likely not be the data file but backups of it at various stages. The OP
wants to look for a file whose name does _not_ include a 14-digit
number, which is the timestamp for when that particular backup file was
made.

An additional complication is that by default Windows hides file
extensions, so the OP may or may not see ".gnucash" at the end of a data
file's name.

What the OP should do, in my opinion, is

1. Open GnuCash on the old computer.
2. Let it open the most recently used file (as it does automatically).
3. Click File, and look at the list just under the word Properties in
the menu.
4. Hover the mouse over the first of those, without clicking it.

The full path and file name should appear in the status line or in a
popup "tool tip", depending on GnuCash version.

Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com/