[GNC] GnuCash 5.3 autofill headaches

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 01:20:11 EDT 2023

On Fri, Jun 30, 2023 at 12:56 PM John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> > On Jun 30, 2023, at 8:31 AM, Adrien Monteleone <
> adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:
> > I don't use future-dated transactions, but if it doesn't even get to the
> last transaction (and ideally the next empty one) that could get quite
> annoying.
> >

> I just checked that and both open registers had the cursor in the blank
> transaction just like always. There's a  preference to put the blank
> transaction before future transactions. Even with that set I see all the
> ones I have displayed below the blank transaction, but I can imagine that
> if you have more than will fit in the window then GnuCash will scroll so
> that the blank transaction is at the top of the window and some of those
> future transactions aren't visible. I think that's correct behavior: Ready
> to perform input with the input location visible.

I was keying in and editing transactions in 5.3 earlier today and I believe
I saw the register behavior described by David H.

I was editing a transaction, and noticed the transaction I was typing in
was off the screen, instead of being scrolled into view. The text I was
typing into the field was visible in the status area (whatever you call it
at the bottom of the window where helpful prompts or the current field's
text appear). But without manually scrolling I didn't know what transaction
I was typing in, and of course I wasn't completely sure whether the
transaction I was editing was scrolled out of the window above or below.

Maybe I changed a date on a transaction then tabbed to the Description
field? Or maybe I somehow hit a page key or swiped the touchpad while
editing? I haven't been able to replicate it tonight.

Earlier today I was on a laptop so I sometimes do funny things to squeeze
bank statements and reports onto the single screen while I'm editing. The
PC I'm on now has a mouse and no trackpad and two sizable monitors. With
the extra screen real estate I don't have to squeeze anything. SO
the horizontal size of the GnuCash window might be a factor.

I'm using Ubuntu on both machines but they're probably different releases.
This one is Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and the other one is probably 23.04. Both are
running GnuCash 5.3 Flatpak, both fully updated.

I will watch this over the next few days and see if I can discover
the circumstances where this happens.

-----