[GNC] How to revert to previous input mode?

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Sat Jul 1 19:16:32 EDT 2023

On Sat, 1 Jul 2023 16:31:55 +0000 Gyle McCollam wrote:

>Pierre,
>you stated you have to:
>new method:
> +|-. TAB, TAB, p(long list with "Don't Autocomplete" at top,
> up-arrow, ENTER, pr(still long list with "Don't Autocomplete" at top,
> up-arrow, ENTER, pre(still long list with "Don't Autocomplete" at top,
>arrows or mouse actions once enough characters have been entered to
>reduce the list where last month's transaction is now visible, etc...
>
>I don't understand why you need to up arrow after each character.  You can type "p", then "r", then "e" just like you used to do. You can type as many letters as you need without selecting "Don't Autocomplete" which is what you seem to be saying.

No, I don't have to up-arrow; but I was trying to make the point that the
new method has added a lot of extra visual cruft and confusion.  Worse,
typing "Pens<TAB>" auto-populated an old "Camper expenses" entry which
now had to be canceled and restarted.

The old method matched just the beginning while the new matches anything
resulting in too much visual data.  For a new user with little historical
data, this may be fine; but a long time user can have hundreds of entries
which adds to the wasted time getting the job done.

The old way, I only needed to type 1 or 2 characters; now, I have to type
many more characters to narrow the list down to last month's entry...

I'm not trying to dis the new method; it may be fine for some... but
having the option to choose would be appreciated:  one checkbox and:
if old:
elif new:

There's a lot of history in some GNC users' data; but it doesn't need to
be put front and center on every new entry...

HTH,
Pierre