[GNC] Two Instances as opposed to two separate files

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Fri Jul 14 21:17:10 EDT 2023

On 2023-07-14 17:56, R Losey wrote:
> Is there really a convention for replies? Gmail puts my replies at the top
> by default (like this), but if they are supposed to be at the bottom, I can
> pretty easily do that as well. But I haven't seen a FAQ or heard that this
> is a convention.

It is a long-standing convention, predating computers, that the response
comes after the thing being responded to. (That's unless you're a
contestant on Jeopardy, of course.)

Without even considering everybody's _other_ email, there are multiple
topics on the GC mailing list, and few people can keep all of that in
their heads. Some brief context (usually _not_ a full quote of the
article) is helpful before making one's response. To me it seems like
basic courtesy for the writer to consider the convenience of the
readers, who outnumber the writer manyfold.

Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com