[GNC] How to record payments for several items paid with a single transaction?

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sat Jul 22 20:12:05 EDT 2023

On Sat, 22 Jul 2023 17:56:09 +0100
Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> But what if one has cash from two collections to go to the same
> account. I.e.  a collection on 22nd July and a collection on 29th
> July both paid in at the same time?

One way of doing this is with an intermediate account. You take the
cash from 22nd July and put it in the intermediate account, which could
be called "undeposited funds" or "cash on hand". You do the
same with the cash from 29th July. On banking day you put the cash from
the cash tin in the bank, and move it in your books from the
intermediate account to the bank account.

Summary
Physical movement of funds

collection > count done > cash tin
2nd collection > count done > cash tin > count done again

cash tin > bank (and another count)

Recorded movement of funds
collection > cash on hand
2nd collection > cash on hand
cash on hand > bank

I'm sure you will sort this out shortly.

Liz