[GNC] Another try at "How to record payments for several items paid with a single transaction?"

R Losey rlosey at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 14:27:04 EDT 2023

On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 6:06 AM Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 11:06:26AM +0100, Maf. King wrote:
> > On Monday, 24 July 2023 10:38:35 BST Chris Green wrote:
> > > Maybe I should put this a different way, the answers so far don't seem
> > > to quite address my question, probably because I'm not describing what
> > > I'm trying to do.
> > >
> > > So, very simply, say I am buying sweets in a shop and I select:-
> > >
> > >     One bar of chocolate        0.99
> > >     Two bags of pear drops      1.50
> > >     Chewing gum                 1.00
> > >
> > > Then I pay the shopkeeper       3.49
> > >

> > > I want to record this in GnuCash in a way that shows that it is a
> > > single transaction debiting 'cash in my pocket' and crediting
> > > 'shopkeeper' but I want to detail the items making up the transaction.
> > >
> > > How do I do this?
> >
> > Erm... 4 splits?  3 to Expenses:Sweets and one to CashInPocket.   then
> for the
> > register, ensure View as... something not auto-expanding splits.
> >
> > Will truthfully say that I have not followed the thread so far.
> >
> I've yet to work out how to actually enter a split transaction in a
> sane way.  I just spent several minutes trying to enter a split
> transaction for something like the above and failed miserably.
>
> Can someone run me through how to do this, i.e. enter something like
> the above where there are three items making up a single transaction
> from 'cashInPocket' to 'shopkeeper'.

1) Bring up your cash account (Mine is called "Cash on Hand")
2) Enter the date, the name of the shop, and the amount (3.49) in the
right-hand ("Spend" or "Credit" column)
3) Press the Split button at the top (this opens up the split menu with the
first line having 3.49 spent from cash
4) Tab to or click on the empty beneath the filled-in line (it should have
3.49 on the left (Debit) side
5) Enter "chocolate bar" in the memo; enter Expense:Sweets in the Account
field, and enter 0.99 in the amount
6) If you tab twice you will be on a new line, with 2.50 remaining
7) Repeat #5 with "pear drops" and "chewing gum"  for 1.50 and 1.00
8) Press ENTER to finish entering the data (I think I had to press ENTER
twice)

--
Richard Losey
rlosey at gmail.com