[GNC] GnuCash 'Help' returns "Dcoument not found" but I have gnucash-docs installed

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 18:29:18 EDT 2023

Am 24.07.23 um 20:31 schrieb R Losey:
> On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 11:48 AM David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Chris,
>> The local help doesn't work with that release in Linux, just go to the
>> website https://gnucash.org/ or maybe try searching your hard drive
>> manually.  I have never tried that myself, so I don't know if that works.
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 10:45 AM Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running GnuCash 4.8 on [x]Ubuntu 22.04.2, I have gnucash-docs
>>> installed as well as the gnucash and gnucash-common packages but when
>>> I click on things in the Help menu I just get "Document not found".
>>>
>>> So, how do I get the help to work?
>>

> I seem to recall reading in these lists that it's a matter of Linux putting
> the documents in a different place than where GnuCash is looking... I'm
> assuming that there is a way to fix this with a symbolic link (or links),
> but I don't recall the locations offhand.

GnuCash is using Gnome's help browser Yelp under Linux.
1. yelp changed its protocoll from ghelp:DOCUMENT which was stored below
/usr[/local]/share/gnome/help/DOCUMENT/LANG/,
to help:DOCUMENT below /usr[/local]/share/help/LANG/DOCUMENT/
2. After we realized that we adjusted gnucash's call of yelp.
3. Later we renamed gnucash-help to gnucash-manual.

So search your /usr for a directory gnucash-guide.
You can always call
  yelp PARh/TO/DOCUMENT
from a command line,

To use the abbreviating protocoll you have to check, if the docs are
stored where the protocoll, which your yelp version understands, expects
them.

Regards
Frank