[GNC] Windows 11 GnuCash 4.14 vs 5.3

R Losey rlosey at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 15:23:53 EDT 2023

On Thu, Jul 27, 2023 at 12:05 PM larry johnston <larryej1953 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> We have just upgraded from 2.6.15 to 4.14. We are trying to decide if we
> should go to 5.3. We use GnuCash only for basic home finances. An important
> feature that we want to use is the  'use accumulated totals' in our
> budget reports. This feature is available in 4.14 so we have stopped there.
> What advantages or disadvantages are there to continuing on to 5.3?
>
> TIA,
>
> Larry

Larry, AFAIK, the biggest change in 5.x is the new auto-complete feature,
which some like and some don't like so much. (Personally, I like it better
than what there was in 4.x).

I'm running 5.3, and it looks like the auto-matching in the Notes field
isn't fully working (that's been the subject of another thread in this
list).

I don't use the "use accumulated totals" in budget reports, so I cannot say
how well this work... I would suggest making a backup of your GnuCash file,
upgrading to the current version, and then trying out your report with the
new version... you may decided to continue with it. If you don't, you can
erase the new version, re-install the old version, and restore your copy of
the GnuCash data file.

Richard Losey
rlosey at gmail.com
Micah 6:8