[GNC] Cannot write to file

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sat Jul 29 08:02:29 EDT 2023

First, those long file names with numbers in them suggest at some point
you've opened a backup file and then worked in it rather than your main
file.

This could be a big problem in that you might think you've entered
transactions and then find them missing.

Does the title bar of your GnuCash window have a similar looking file
name? You'll need to clean that up. If so, report back that fact and
folks here can suggest some remedies.

Second, the Save function could be triggered by an auto-save preference.
If you are using the default XML backend, you can set the file to save
every certain number of minutes. If you didn't intentionally save the
file under one of the SQL backends, (and you'd know) then you are using
the default.

Otherwise, usually a CTRL+S (CMD+S on a Mac) will trigger a Save.

As for why you can't save, if you need to, the message suggests lack of
space on the drive, or a permissions issue. We don't yet have enough
information to determine which one.

Regards,
Adrien