[GNC] Hierarchy of accounts & multiple currencies

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sat Mar 4 12:06:55 EST 2023

On 3/4/2023 4:19 AM, TimR via gnucash-user wrote:
> I am a new user, having imported a QIF from Quicken. In the import process I
> didn't follow the process thoroughly enough and I've ended up with a very
> flat hierarchy of accounts.
>
> 1.	How do I go about editing the hierarchy of accounts?
>

> This in turn also means that accounts that are not in the majority currency
> (GBP) - such as USD or Kenya shillings - are creating false balances.
>
> 2.	What would you recommend as the best way to fix this?

1) You make one account the child of another (make it below in the
hierarchy) by editing the account (under edit, you can select WHAT you
want to edit and account is one of the choices). When looking at an
account while under edit, one of the things you can do is assign a
parent account (make the account you are editing a child of the other)

2) BEFORE looking at solutions, need to ask some questions about HOW you
use the secondary currencies. Using it all the time? (many
transactions?). Many transactions between the currencies? Or is it more
the case that you have bank accounts in both, at any given time doing
transactions in just one of them, and only rarely transferring funds
between them. Also what are your reporting requirements with regard to
these currencies?

Michael D Novack

PS --- Quicken isn't standard double entry bookkeeping. Importing your
data from Quicken not going to be trivial because you probably somehow
want to get "class" information translated to "account" specification.
In other words, you can expect ex[port/import of data to be possible
when moving data from another double entry app (say QuickBooks rather
than Quicken)

     That means you might not want to export/import form  Quicken IF you
still have Quicken available (to look at old data). You might instead
opt to start new gnucash books using the equivalent of a Balance Sheet
report out of Quicken (assuming Quicken can give you something like
that. It is still relatively early in 2023 so if this were MY problem
I'd likely choose this approach (assuming Quicken can give you a report
of "all transactions since the start of 2023")