[GNC] Old book not opening

Phil Reynolds phil-gnc at tinsleyviaduct.com
Sun Nov 12 08:17:21 EST 2023

On Sat, 11 Nov 2023 10:53:44 -0500
Michael or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 11/10/2023 8:55 PM, Phil Reynolds wrote:
> > I am about to start using gnucash again after giving up a few years
> > ago (for personal reasons). However, I want to reopen my old
> > accounts to get the figure I was owed. I can see my old files, but
> > gnucash as supplied in Debian 12 does not seem to be able to open
> > them in any way.
> >
> > Can someone possibly advise how I might do this?
> >
> a) If you have not checked permissions on the old file, do that first.

Won't be permissions but checked anyway. The file has sat there for
years.

> b) When you say cannot open the file, what do you mean? Does not open
> the file with gnucash when you click on the object? (the file). Or
> does not open the file even when you start gnucash and then use "open
> file" to choose that file by full name? It is the latter you should
> describe as "cannot open file".

The last of those situations.

> c) Have you in between upgraded the version of gnucash? Or are you
> using the same on as when you last had this file open?

Extremely likely - I have no clue what version was installed last time
these were touched.

> d) What, if any messages are you getting on this failure to open.

Assuming the file will be one of the ones in ~/gnucash/books, "No
suitable backend was found" for any of them. If not, I don't think I
can even identify the file.

Of course, there is a chance this is not the old book I need anyway,
but if it is, I can be 100% accurate rather than a little short of the
mark with one figure I am owed.

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: phil-gnc at tinsleyviaduct.com