[GNC] Help

Kalpesh Patel kalpesh.patel at usa.net
Wed Oct 11 14:47:19 EDT 2023

Just to recap what is being asked ... the basics are as follows (which are likely covered somewhere in the fine manual):

1A)	On Windows, there are steps that you need to take to install Perl and Finance::Quote module:
- Click on the search (the magnifying glass) and type in 'Install Online Price Retrieval for GnuCash' and click on it.
- Wait some time (might want to get some refreshment while batch script does its magic)

	OR

1B)	On Linux, there are steps that you need to take to install Finance::Quote module:
- Open up your favorite shell console, whether sh, csh, zsh, bash or any choice of yours
- Run following command (this assume your CPAN is configured correctly - accept defaults when running it for the first time): perl -MCPAN -e 'install Finance::Quote'
- Wait some time (might want to get some refreshment while Perl does its magic)

2)	Define the security in GNUCASH:
- On the main window of GNUCASH, click 'Tools' menu and select 'Security Editor' from that dropdown
- Click 'Add' button on the lower right corner on the 'Securities' window
- Type in 'Full Name' field (Example: Bank of New York Mellon Corp) in the 'New security' window
- Type in 'Symbol/abbreviation' field (Example: BK) in the 'New security' window
- Type in 'Display symbol' field (Example: BK) in the 'New security' window
- Type in 'Namespace' field (Example: NYSE) in the 'New security' window
- Leave blank in 'ISIN, CUSIP or other code' field in the 'New security' window
- Leave 'Fraction traded 1/' field to read '10000' in the 'New security' window

- Put a check mark on the 'Get Online Quotes' box by clicking on the box once that is in front of it.

- Under 'Type of quote source', click in front of 'Single' circle to select it. On the right side of it (which should read 'Alphavantage, US'), click on the arrow, scroll all the way down and select 'Yahoo as JSON'.

- Click 'OK' button in the 'New security' window.
- Click 'Close' button in the 'Securities' window.

3)	Retrieve online quotes:
- On the main window of GNUCASH, click 'Tools' menu and select 'Price Database' from that dropdown
- Click the arrow in front of the name space (Example from above: NYSE) and you should see your security there (Example from above: BK) in the 'Price Database' window
- Click the arrow in front of the security (Example from above: BK) and you should see no pricing in this newly created security
- Click 'Get Quotes' on the right side of the 'Price Database' window
- Wait some time (might want to get some refreshment while GNUCASH does its magic)
- When you get control back, a new line will be added which will be the price that GNUCASH retrieved via Perl's Finance::Quote module
- Celebrate success