[GNC] I need basic help

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Fri Oct 20 10:05:33 EDT 2023

>> I need to wrap my head around the whole “debit/credit” concept.
> One thing that helps me keep it straight is that money flows from credit to debit. Credit the account that money is coming from, debit the account that money is going to. There is more to consider of course, like whether an account usually has a credit or debit balance, but you don't have to learn everything at once.

That might not be of much help (understanding the terms "debit" and
"credit")

History might, remembering that double entry bookkeeping dates back to
to times when:

a) European mathematics had not yet accepted negative numbers.

b) Latin was still used for communication between the educated (who
might otherwise not be speaking the same language)

In other words, the "senses" of amounts in bookkeeping were "debit" and
"credit", not "positive" and "negative". "Debit" comes from Latin
"he/she/it owes (me)" and "credit from "he/she/it trusts (me)". Back at
the start., there were no accounts of (temporary) type "income" and
":expense", and the people using bookkeeping were moneylenders (bankers)
who of course might also have other business. So .........

Assets --- besides the obvious "cash" would be the loans given out, so
natural that those amounts be "debit" (somebody owed you the money)

Liabilities -- these would be loans that the business had taken out,
again natural that the sense be "credit" (somebody was trusting you for
the money)

Equity --- this will be less obvious why "credit", except that is what
will be necessary to balance the fundamental equality (the sum of the
debits must equal the sum of the credits)

The big advance that the banking system of that day provided to trade
was dealing in liabilities. Thus a merchant in place A planning to
travel to place B to purchase a cargo of goods to ring back would go to
the merchant/lenders of A and ask if any held a liability of a
merchant/banker in place B. If yes, would purchase that debt (having it
signed over) and could then travel to B carrying this "paper" rather
than gold, etc. That piece of paper, requiring endorsements, much less
subject to risks of piracy, etc. On arriving at B, would sell that
liability for the local currency to make his purchases. In other words,
these debts became a form of money.

That might help you understand why cash in hand was "debit" like the
loans owed. Used the same way in trade. Large amounts being transferred
would normally be in the form of these documents. Thus as long as trade
between A and B was reasonably in balance, very little actual gold had
to move back and forth.

Michael D Novack