[GNC] Inventory

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Wed Sep 13 09:22:08 EDT 2023

On 9/12/2023 8:02 PM, David G. Pickett via gnucash-user wrote:
> Does GNUCash do inventory at least on a small scale?  It seems like a security or stock, you could define a price for sales or a recent/current cost for supplies, and when you sell or order it might be like a stock sale or order.

Yes and no.

You CAN of course track the money part of inventory (the general ledger
part) manually, which is what I was doing for the orgs (they might have
had "tee shirts", coffee mugs, etc.). So let me give an example using
tee shirts. These were both sold (fund raising) and given away
(recognition) and were bought in batches, not necessarily at the same
unit cost. As treasurer I would need to get "reports" from those who
were selling them and/or giving any away or who ordered another batch
from the supplier).

So a report "I sold X of these at an event" would result in a
transaction debiting undeposited cash and "cost of goods sold" (at the
unit price of the current batch) and crediting that batch (under the
asset "inventory") and "income from goods sold". If they were given to
volunteers would be debiting "recognition" and crediting the batch in
inventory.

BUT --- an "inventory system" would be doing MUCH more, and not all of
it in terms of money. For example, tracking where "shelved" (kept at the
office vs given out to somebody tabling at an event, etc.) and
information about the supplier, alternative suppliers, reorder level, etc.

Gnucash is only the ":general ledger" part of a complete business system
(or personal system for that matter)

Michael D Novack