[GNC] Finance Quotes Yahoo off the rails again?

david amaral dejamaral at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 4 13:28:16 EDT 2024

 I have been on gnucash for years now and have close to 300 securities that i get updates from yahoo.no problems as to yahoo limits
    On Thursday, April 4, 2024 at 10:03:26 AM GMT-7, David G. Pickett via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:

  My personal portfolio has 26-28 stocks (I recently closed 2 positions) (Diversity has it's virtues, and while IRSs are free choice, different 401Ks have different restricted choices.)  When it is in a mood to block, it seems to block them all, not just the last few.
    On Wednesday, April 3, 2024 at 10:53:03 PM EDT, Bruce Schuck <bschuck at asgard-systems.com> wrote:

 Wed Apr 3 13:40:48 EDT 2024 David G. Pickett wrote:

> Looks good, (only error because I need to switch DIA back to yahoo)
> and slow but much better.  A later run under cron got lots of
> errors. Do they ration by IP address? If it is by frequency, maybe we
> should purposely send requests only every 10 seconds to simulate a
> human user?  It cannot make it much slower.
I've been meaning to ask how many securities are you attempting to get
prices for?

Early on in this thread I called out the "500" responses. A "500"
typically gets returned from a web page if the site has an issue. When
Yahoo turned off the previous APIs F::Q was using, the HTTP response was
one of the "40?" that would be expected.

With no one else reporting the same issue my sense is that your errors
are the result of something on your end. I also use YahooJSON, and a
cron job fired every weekday at 13:30 Pacific time (16:30 Eastern)
updates about 20 securities in less than 15 seconds. My log from today's
(04/03/2024) run:

=====
gnc-get-quote.sh start: Wed Apr  3 01:30:01 PM PDT 2024
DATAFILE: /home/bschuck/Documents/bschuck.gnucash
BKUPFILE: /home/bschuck/Documents/bschuck.gnucash.20240403133001.gnucash
Found Finance::Quote version 1.59.
gz_thread_func EOF
gnc-get-quote.sh completed: Wed Apr  3 01:30:13 PM PDT 2024
=====

I would not be surprised if you have a sufficiently large number of
securities that Yahoo has mechanisms in place to detect and block/limit
further lookups.

Bruce S.