[GNC] Multiple Currencies with Balance Sheet not balanced

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Mon Apr 22 18:52:00 EDT 2024

This has been a thorn in my flesh for some time but I've been too busy
to deal with it.  The non-profit where I volunteer works in two
currencies:  PHP and USD.  The main currency is set to USD.

Chapter 12 of the Guide implies two ways of tracking multiple
currencies:  Manually (without trading accounts) and Automatically (with
trading accounts).  I do not have trading accounts activated.

Every time I exchange USD into PHP I enter the exact number of PHP
received for he exact USD value.

Today I tracked down the first instance of the Balance Sheet going out
of balance.  On July 4, 2023, Assets = Liabilities + Equity. [$6562.90]
On July 5 there is a single transaction moving $626.80 USD to 34,250
PHP.  But the Balance Sheet for that date shows Assets of $6518.06 vs
Liabilities + Equity of $6516.45

There is only one price entry for 7/5/2023 in the price database.  I did
click on the transaction to verify the $626.80 to 34,250 PHP was entered
correctly.

This transaction was between two asset accounts.  One in USD and the
other in PHP.  So why did my Asset value drop?  And why is the Balance
Sheet out of balance?  I suspect I'll find more of these as I move
forward toward today.

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler