[GNC] Identify error transaction in QIF import

Kalpesh Patel kalpesh.patel at usa.net
Sun Apr 28 12:50:36 EDT 2024

While this is not specific to the problem at hand (which others have provided work around - namely fall back to GNC 5.5 which likely is to have better success), given that I went through the migration while back (circa GNC v4.3) to import data since at least 1993, these are the lessons I've learned:

Don't try to export as a one giant file from Quicken and import into GNC. I highly recommend you do one account per export file and then import. If it succeeds, make a backup copy of GNC file and go onto next one. The order of import I suggest your perform is first the investment accounts with greatest number of transactions as the very first one going down to least number of transactions. Then do banking account, credit card accounts and finally any other ones if you have. Optionally, once import is done, download transactions from your banks, etc., as an OFX and import them.  Not sure if you are in the States or not but some of the large financial institutions allow you to go back up to 10 years of downloads.  You are NOT likely to succeed if you try to do so in one leap...

Quicken's 'File-Operations'->'Validate and  Repair' is not likely to help you fix Quicken export errors. Sadly there is good deal of ambiguity in qif spec which causes headaches. These sort of exceptions requires manual fixes. QIF file is a text file and can be edited easily if you find the transactions that is causing the issue (format can be found at https://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/pim/qif-doc/QIF-doc.htm#:~:text=A%3A%20The%20Quicken%20interchange%20format,that%20supports%20the%20QIF%20format.). Divide and conquer is going to be the operations to find the transaction that is an issue in the exported file - break up file into two; import one and if it succeeds then the error is in the other file; divide that problematic one into two again and continue to this path until transaction that is causing the problem is found.

If anything, what is recommended be done in Quicken is to 'File-Operations'->'Validate and  Repair', followed by 'File-Operations'->'Copy'. Perform this at least three times but each time open the new copy created by previous step. After the last iteration, you can rename the '...CpyCpyCpy...' file to original name and then perform export one account at a time as previously mentioned.

Before doing all this, export out the account tree from the Quicken. You can do this in the QIF Export window by just selecting 'Account list' only and then import it into GNC before importing any accounts and related transactions.

Also I suggest you look at the messages archive of this list and review past messages on this specific topic. There is wealth of that info.

Hope this helps.