[GNC] Can't open old GnuCash file

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sat Feb 17 08:45:26 EST 2024

Incremental updates, yes, but you jumped 4 major versions and skipped
those incremental updates.

The recommended process (in the wiki FAQ) is to upgrade in steps to each
of the final releases of each major release, running Actions > Check &
Repair > Check & Repair All upon first opening the file after each upgrade.

In your case, that is likely:

2.6.21 -> 3.11 -> 4.14 -> 5.3

remove 5.3, install 2.6.21 and proceed.

If you can't get 2.6.21 to install on Ubuntu 23.10, the easiest path
would be to install an older Ubuntu (likely 16.04) in a virtual machine
and install 2.6.21 there to do the check & repair. Repeat as needed for
each gnucash version, but you will likely be okay using 23.10 from 4.x
onward.

Regards,
Adrien