[GNC] Moving from Quicken

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Tue Jan 9 10:45:04 EST 2024

On 1/8/2024 12:33 PM, barry milliken wrote:
> Thanks for your answer.
> When I said personal accounting I oversimplified.
> My wife and I both have independent consulting businesses.
> That means we have 3 bank accounts and six credit cards for a total of 9 "accounts" (transaction sources)
> Managing downloads manually would be too cumbersome.

> How does Gnucash allow me display my source accounts separately?
> Thanks

This question means you have to learn the basics of double entry
bookkeeping. Start with the tutorial and  then perhaps work your way
through a typical bookkeeping/accounting 101 text (paper or on-line)

EVERY transaction (in double entry bookkeeping) has at least one account
being debited and one account being credited. And best to forget about
ideas like "source" (of money), especially as you might have a few
transactions where no money is actually being moved << note: not only is
Quicken not proper double entry bookkeeping but it is mimicking just the
"cashbook" subset of double entry << when the "cashbook" shortcut in use
for the majority of transactions, the simplest ones -- I did this in the
old pen and ink on paper days >>

Michael D Novack