[GNC] 2 questions

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Jan 9 14:17:42 EST 2024

On 1/9/24 5:38 AM, Mahon Finbar via gnucash-user wrote:> 1.How to get
the suggestions when creating an entry (e.g.. ) name of the
> client when entering a few characters?

It sounds like you are looking for the pop-up auto-fill suggestion list.
That is populated by the other transactions in the register. So if you
are starting fresh, there won't be anything to suggest.

> 2. I subdivided an a/c to create a 2024 version, using the latest bank
> account balance as the opening balance. All Ok, but the entries are in
> red.... I cannot find in the help how to change that?

If your other similar account of the same type is not in red, then that
tells me your debits/credits are backwards in this one. Red indicates a
negative condition. If this is not normally a credit balance account
(Income, Equity, Liability) then your entries are reversed. If it is one
of those three types, having negative balances are normal. How
'negative' numbers are displayed is controlled by Preferences > Numbers,
Date & Time.

-----

I'd ask why you created a special account to 'start over' for 2024?

The more usual procedures would be to either:

- 'close books' and proceed with the next year,

- archive a copy of the file as of 12/31/23 and proceed with the next
year, or

- start an entirely new file for 2024 with carry-over balances, and
possibly exporting/importing your Chart of Accounts.

Regards,
Adrien