[GNC] File format question

Simon Roberts simon at dancingcloudservices.com
Wed Jan 31 16:42:14 EST 2024

On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 1:12 PM Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be>
wrote:
[...]

> There's not much documentation other than the comments in the source
> files. The 'single characters' you refer to are briefly explained here:
>

> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/b7e68144154c3677293148a40d66bea36d492a96/libgnucash/engine/TransLog.h#L58
>
> Though I'm not sure the behaviour is exactly like described there. I don't
> think a D(elete) line is still preceded by a B(egin) line. But the meaning
> of the characters is still unchanged.
>
> B for "begin edit"
>
> C for "commit changes"
>
> R for "rollback changes"
>
> D for "delete"

Perfect!! I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't work that out. In
retrospect it seems like I should have. But thank you for this, I'm pretty
sure this is all I really need for my situation.

Note these log files are call transaction logs. And that's pretty accurate.
> They only log changes to transactions (and their splits). Changes to
> accounts or invoices or anything else is not recorded in these logs.

Also helpful too. I didn't know that limitation. I don't think it'll be
important to my situation, but it's certainly helpful to know that this is
the case, just in case my CPAs indicate anything of that sort has happened.

Much appreciate the help, thank you Geert,
Cheers,
Simon