[GNC] gnucash suggestions

J. A. Harris product at harrisja.us
Tue Mar 19 16:08:14 EDT 2024

On 3/19/24 11:22, Kalpesh Patel wrote:
> Just in case this is lost or not known, a new namespace can be created
> by simply specifying text in the namespace field when defining a "new"
> commodity or security.

Thanks to all who replied.  Some good stuff included.  That a new
namespace can be created was something new to me.  Good to know. 🙂

Looking at the replies with a long view, to me they are supporting the
idea of extending gnucash so it supports creating new currencies.  Yes,
one can use existing currencies or create new
FUNDs/NYSEs/NEWNAMESPACEs.  But it appeared there was a consensus that
those workarounds were a less than ideal kludgy solution. (I have been
repurposing currencies and do not know how many times I have had to stop
and figure out what "XTS",  "XXX" or "AMD" actually represented.
Certainly any report I generate will be confusing to anyone who will not
know how I am using those currencies.) The new namespace idea is
interesting but the names is that new space work just like Stocks or
Funds, so they share their weaknesses.

One person objected to calling something like airlines points as a
currency because are not "legal tender of some sovereign power". But
IMHO, and in the opinion of a number of dictionaries I have consulted,
currency applies to a wider range of things.  So certainly a country's
legal tender is included in the definition but also included are
anything "that is in circulation as a medium of exchange" or anything
which is "a common article for bartering" [Merriam-Webster].

Whether the solution is being able to add new currencies or being able
to create a new currency namespace (I could only find a way to create
new namespaces that implemented new Stock like commodities, not currency
like ones), I would be happy with either.