[GNC] Finance::Quote Default Currency Module

Jim DeLaHunt list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Sun Mar 31 19:46:44 EDT 2024

Bruce:

I try to run GnuCash's "Get Quotes" feature every day, so every day I
use your hard work on Finance::Quote and am grateful for it. Thank you.

On 2024-03-30 15:09, Bruce Schuck wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm getting ready to release Finance::Quote v1.60 to CPAN. It appears
> that AlphaVantage has again changed how they deal with throttling for
> requests using the free API keys/tokens. This has affected some users
> that may have data that requires doing more than a handful of currency
> exchange calculations.
>
> While the currency module used can be changed using the FQ_CURRENCY
> environment variable, I have been asked to change the default to
> YahooJSON instead of AlphaVantage.
>
> Before I make such a change I wanted to get a general consensus from
> the GnuCash users.

Thank you for asking. But I'm afraid I don't understand what you are asking.

Is there any written description of what throttling behaviour F::Q
observes from AlphaVantage?

I have an AlphaVantage API key registered in GnuCash's settings. I have
about four currencies and 10-20 stocks, mutual funds, and ETFs which get
price updates through my daily GnuCash "Get Quotes" regimen. Is this
"more than a handful" of currency exchange calculations? Will I be one
of the users affected by the throttling?

Is the proposed change only for looking up currency exchange rates, so
does not affect lookup of securities prices?

What is the difference to a consumer like me of F::Q getting the data
from YahooJSON rather than from AlphaVantage?

     —Jim DeLaHunt