ANNOUNCE: Re: Release of GnuCash stable version 1.8.10

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Mon Dec 13 04:07:23 EST 2004

Chris: Thanks a lot for this release work. Just for information, a
slightly more compact release announcement had been proposed here
earlier, so I just copy this once again:

--

The GnuCash development team proudly announces a new stable release of
the GnuCash Open Source Accounting Software.

FAQ: "Is this a gnome2 application?" A: "No." This release still belongs
to GnuCash's 1.8.x series which is not yet ported to gtk2/gnome2. Read
more below.

New features in 1.8.10:

- HBCI online banking improved and ported to the new library AqBanking.
   Those who are using HBCI online banking need to perform some extra
steps when upgrading, see http://gnomesupport.org/wiki/index.php/GnuCash
(or in German: http://www.linuxwiki.de/GnuCash )
- OFX import improved and based on the new libofx version 0.7, which
gives Microsoft OFC support among other things
- Added saving and restoring of customized reports

Improvements and bugs fixed:

- Updated Brazilian Portugese, British English, Czech, Dutch, French,
German, Italian, Russian translations
- HTML export of transaction report improved
- Reports and accounts with zero balance work nicer
- Problems with libltdl3 resolved
- Improved performance when opening large register windows
- Checque printing for Quicken cheques added
- Fixes for the x64_64 platform
- Fixes for the new g-wrap 1.9
- C99/C89 compatibility problems resolved

FAQ: "Is this a gnome2 application?" A: "No." This release still belongs
to GnuCash's 1.8.x series which is not yet ported to gtk2/gnome2. In
other words, this release is still based on gtk1.2/gnome1. The
developers are working on a gtk2/gnome2 version of GnuCash, but it still
takes a lot of time. See
http://gnomesupport.org/wiki/index.php/GnuCashPortingStatus for the
status of the Gtk2 port. GnuCash makes use of several custom widgets as
well as the Guppi graphing library. To port to gtk2 involves rewriting
those widgets (e.g. the ledger, or the account hierarchy which uses
GtkCTree) into the appropriate GTK2 widgets and would require the
changing of the graphing code to probably use Jody's new
gnome-office-graph code in Gnumeric (Guppi was never ported to gtk2 and
is a dead project). But given that the GnuCash team is extremely short
on programmers, the process has to exist in parallel to existing product
improvements, resulting in a very gradual porting process. If you can
code C, by all means, volunteer your time, see
http://gnomesupport.org/wiki/index.php/GnuCashDevelopment