ANNOUNCE: Release of GnuCash 1.9.1 (unstable)

Chris Lyttle chris at wilddev.net
Mon Feb 20 00:05:40 EST 2006

The GnuCash development team proudly announces GnuCash 1.9.1 aka "So we
meet again", the second of several unstable 1.9.x releases of the
GnuCash Open Source Accounting Software which will eventually lead to
the stable version 2.0.0. This release contains many bugfixes since the
first release but is still only intended for developers and adventurous
testers who want to help tracking down bugs.

What's New in GnuCash 1.9.1?

o WARNING WARNING WARNING - Make sure you make backups of any files
  used in testing versions of GnuCash in the 1.9.x series. Although the
  developers go to great lengths to ensure that no data will be lost we
  cannot guarantee that your data will not be affected if for some
  reason GnuCash crashes in testing these releases.
o PLEASE TEST TEST AND TEST SOME MORE any and all features important
  to you. Then post any bugs you find to bugzilla
  http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GnuCash
o If you have the urge to help beyond testing please get involved in
  the discussions on the GnuCash mailing lists which you will find at
  http://www.gnucash.org. We especially need people to help with
  updating the documentation as all texts refer currently to the 1.8.x
  series. Please see http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Development on how to
  get involved.
o Major bugfixes include -
 o Register fixes
 o Finance::Quote issues
 o Correctly open an account and its sub-accounts.
 o Change the reports from using a hard-coded fiscal year to using the
   global accounting period set in the preferences.  Both the start date
   and the end date are used, so the user is free to choose any
arbitrary period.
 o Use the price nearest to midday to get the value in the default
   currency.
 o Make the desktop more HIG-compliant.
 o Patch to prevent crash when voiding a transaction.
 o Aqbanking updates
 o Report fixes
 o Autodetect OFX and use it if we find it.
 o Qof fixes

Caveats

Caveats for testers:
Any 1.9.x version might crash unexpectedly at any point during
runtime. If you test some serious work in a 1.9.x release, make sure you
hit "Save" after ever non-trivial workstep.
Keep in mind that features which are not used in everyday work might
crash unexpectedly at all times. This includes but is not limited to:
graphical reports, scheduled transaction editor, price editor, financial
calculator, OFX/QIF/HBCI import.
Especially all the new features might crash instantly on
testing. This applies in particular to any of the budget-related
features. We may always decide to disable such new features for the
initial 2.0.0 release, and re-enable them in a later release.
The documentation is completely outdated. All help texts
usually only refer to the 1.8.x series; please expect all descriptions
in the help texts to be totally wrong when applied to the upcoming 1.9.x
series. Everyone is invited to help improve the documentation; see
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Development" on how to get involved.

How can you help?

Testing: Test it and help us discover all bugs that might show up in
there. Please enter each and every bug into bugzilla at
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GnuCash
Translating: The new release comes with plenty of new translation
strings. If you consider contributing a translation, we invite you to
test this release already, but please keep in mind that we are not yet
in our string freeze phase. Please check
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation_Status for updates
on this, as we recommend to wait for the string freeze phase for the
serious translation work.

Available at the usual places!

http://www.gnucash.org
http://download.sourceforge.net/gnucash