ANNOUNCE: [MAINT] Unplanned network outage for GnuCash Server

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Aug 6 18:57:31 EDT 2020

Hi All,

TL;DR: There was an unplanned network outage for code.gnucash.org for the
past 16 hours.  I was able to route around the damage and packets are
flowing again as of about 18h45 US/EDT.

Long version: Sometime around 3:30am US/EDT my network stopped talking to
my ISP.  Unfortunately I was away on holiday for a quick 2-day lake
getaway and the only debugging I could do remotely was that I determined I
could not reach any of my machines on my raw ISP network.  Once I got home
this afternoon I was able to debug it further and determine that a bridge
I had put in place between my ONT, Modem, and local devices was no longer
properly working.  I removed that box and reconnected without it an
everything came back up.

I do want to place that box back into service, because it allows me to
bypass the modem NAT table limits, but for now I will keep the network
running without it until I can find the time to track down what changes
AT&T  made to the configuration that caused it to break.  But until I can
find the time to do that (which will entail taking the network down), I
will keep it up and running as a direct-connect.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.  Trust me, it wasn't
pleasant for me, either, waking up from 100 miles away to see that the
network was down!

Have a great morning/evening/rest-of-your-day and happy GnuCashing!

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745