Proposal for modifying gnucash to use exact quantities

Terry tboldt@attglobal.net
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 18:56:05 -0400

On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, you wrote:

> > > I haven't made it in that form because it is too trivial.
>
> > > At the level of Bill's proposal, I have:
> > >
> > > typedef gnc_amount; ANY representation of integers what satisfies the
> > > dynamic range required for a particular use.  Note that I, personally,
> > > will never
> >
> > ..
>
> > > As I have said before, we don't need MATH routines. We need to define
> > > FINANCIAL routines. Until those routines are defined, it is premature to
> > > attempt to define the precise math routines that are appropriate.
> >
> > Then provide the routines that are needed. YOU define them EXACTLY, without
> > any ambiguity, such that they can be implemented.
>
> I just did. The implementation is about 10 lines. If it is not *trivially
> obvious*, you don't understand code.

Richard, you have renewed my faith in the human condition - I observed many,
many decades ago that there are a lot of people who only want to stand on the
sidelines and throw brickbats at the participants, then whenever anything
doesn't work exactly right, they can proclaim to the world at large, that .....
SEE they were right all along. They knew it wouldn't work and proclaimed so to
everybody all along. If only they had followed their sage advice .............

Then there are the participants who actually get the work done.

You  decided which you wanted to be and haved honed your skill very well. I
know for a certainity where you will place yourself. The participants and
skilled observers know for a certainity where you are also.

Thank you for telling me where you have decided to be in very definite terms.