Proposal for modifying gnucash to use exact quantities

Richard Wackerbarth rkw@dataplex.net
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 20:05:04 -0500

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Bill Gribble wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 12:14:20PM -0500, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> > And you have yet to address the objections that I, and others, have been
> > raising for an equal period of time.
>
> If you can state any objection that impacts the correctness of the
> code, I'm happy to entertain it.

1) Your API does not hide the implementation details. If we change the
representation of an amount, many calls will have to be changed rather than
localizing the changes to the "math" routines.

2) The "denominator" may need to be the reciprocal of an integer greater than
unity.

3) There are no constraints to assure that the results remain in the
allowable domain of values.

4) I have numerous objections related to efficiency and "cleanliness" of the
interface, but they are not strictly complaints about "correctness" if you
choose to define that to mean "sufficient to derive the correct answer".

There's more, but, frankly, I'm tired reirrerating them onto deaf ears.
When (if) you are willing to attempt to address the problems listed above, I
will try to be more complete.