Proposal for modifying gnucash to use exact quantities

Jason Rennie jrennie@ai.mit.edu
Tue, 01 Aug 2000 09:16:50 -0400

rkw@dataplex.net said:
> You want the denominator in EACH account to be set so that 1/D
> represents  exactly the smallest difference in allowable values for
> that account.

Sure.  That makes sense.  There may be some situations where
determining the smallest difference isn't trivial, but it seems like a
very reasonable assumption to set 1/D to that difference.

rkw@dataplex.net said:
> Otherwise, even though you can accurately represent each allowable
> value by  an integer, you can still represent values that are not
> allowed and rounding  becomes much more complex.

Is it safe to assume that you want to do a form of type- and/or
error-checking?  i.e. if D=8 and I type in 0.130, GNUCash will catch my
error and round to the nearest value in sync with D, i.e. 0.125.

rkw@dataplex.net said:
> When you input an exchange rate, you DO have to look at the
> denomination of  the account.

Yup.  That's all I was trying to say.

Jason D Rennie                      www.ai.mit.edu/~jrennie/
MIT:  (617) 253-5339                      jrennie@ai.mit.edu