Backup feature?

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 10:09:13 +1000 (EST)

Timothy Reaves writes:
 >     I backup feature, ala Quicken, that encourages backing up data files
 > to a drive other than the local.  This way if there is a HD failure, the
 > data is safe on floppy - for off site storage - or an mounted drive.

The trouble with this is that on Linux, you may have to explicitly
mount the drive, and trying to deal with all the possibilities in a
Grandma-proof way is, well, trying.  Then there are the possibilities
of systems with non-standard storage devices like superfloppies.
Gnucash doesn't have a seperate "data backup" format either, so simply
copying the .xac file to a floppy is all you need to do.
If you have a good solution that meets the Grandma test, please
outline it, and I'll have a look (or better still, if you've got some
spare time, you could have a go).

What I will do, right now, is add a tip of the day that reminds users
that backing up is a good idea.

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net